Sunday 2 January 2011

Hi!

Well this is my 1st post so hi to everyone in the blogging/sewing community! My New Years resolution this year is to learn how to sew, refashion clothes, knit and generally make things by hand. It occured to me over the last few weeks that skills such as sewing, knitting, quilting etc just aren't passed on anymore. It's such a shame. Personally I blame my school, I had a few horrendous textiles lessons that weren't useful or interesting and didn't inspire me (or anyone else) to start sewing at home.

A couple of years later, at college studying childcare, I had to design and make a soft toy for a child at my placement to play with. Under the much more patient instruction of my lecturer, I soon got used to using the sewing machine and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately I tried to make a toy rabbit with different textures for it's arms, legs, ears and stomach which was too advanced for my very basic sewing skills. I should have tried something simple but once I get an idea in my head that's pretty much it. The result was the scariest looking soft toy rabbit you can imagine and the baby I presented it to at my placement crawled away terrified.

So basically I'm a complete beginner but I'm getting my sewing machine tomorrow hopefully and who knows what will happen from there. I've been browsing some great sewing blogs to find a nice simply project for me to get started and I have a vague idea but if anyone has any suggestions please do comment!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Hayley, welcome to the blogosphere! Your new year resolutions are great. I don't know about knitting (couldn't get into it) but sewing is pretty easy to get into. Are you still confident using your machine or do you need to take a refreshers course? I'll include some first project suggestions in my forthcoming blog post on starting sewing, hopefully to be published this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tilly that'll be a big help! It's been a couple of years since the college project but I think I'm still ok with using a sewing machine... once I get one that is. The machine I was ment to be buying today is out of stock but hopefully getting more in tomorrow. Fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hayley, welcome to the crafty blog world! Good luck with your resolutions, looking forward to seeing some of your creations.

    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hayley
    Great to see you've started a blog. You'll love it and it's a great way to look back on progress you've made, and hook up with like minded people. Welcome!!!
    Portis (MissP)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually mispelled my own nameon my previous comment!! I should go to bed and stop blog surfing!
    Portia
    xxx

    ReplyDelete