Thursday 17 November 2011

Finding Inspiration when card making

Hope everyone is having a fab week! It's been a good one for me, I turned 21 yesterday and was completely spoiled by friends and family, had a very successful shopping trip today and on Saturday I'm heading to a spa weekend to be pampered with the girls.Life is good =D

So anyway, this is my second post in a kind of blog series that I have started to help beginners get into card making. If you want to read the first post you can find it here.

This week I want to talk about inspiration. After all, you can have as much equipment, paper, card and embellishments as you want but without some kind of inspiration it can be really difficult to decide what to do with them. So how do we find inspiration if it doesn't just pop up out of nowhere? Here are a few ideas that may help.

  • Sort through your craft stash- You might find something that you forgot you had and think "Ahh I can use this to..." I have done this several times and it hasn't failed me yet.
  • Keep a notebook with you- If you are out and about and an idea begins to form write it down for later.
  • Look at cards that you have made or received in the past- Do you like the design? How could you improve it or change it for a different occassion?
  • Choose a colour scheme and try to make a card using those colours- Sometimes just choosing which colours to use can spark an idea.
  • Take a break- Go for a walk, bake cakes, watch tv. When you stop looking for inspiration, ironically it can appear from nowhere.
  • Tidy your work area- Normally I'm not what you would call a neat freak (my mam will definately vouch for that!) but if I find it difficult to concentrate if my desk is really cluttered and a couple of times I have gotten an idea while clearing my desk.
Tidy(ish) work area, tidy mind

Hope this helps! If you have any other suggestions then please comment below.

Bye for now!
Hayley x

No comments:

Post a Comment